Home           About           Tips           Links

Monday, May 16, 2011

Guacamole

I was once at a party where they had Mexican food. Burritos with chips and dip. One of the dips were "guacamole." The reason for the quotations is because it was just mashed up avocados. What exactly is guacamole?
Wikipedia definition: Guacamole is an avocado-based dip that originated in Mexico.[1] It is traditionally made by mashing ripe avocados with a molcajete (mortar and pestle) with salt. Some recipes call for limited tomato, onion, garlic, lime juice or lemon juice, and/or seasonings.




Ingredients:
- Avocados (Ripe - not hard)
- Tomatoes
- Red Onion
- Cilantro
- Salt
- Lemon or Lime

Cut open avocados and using a spoon, spoon out the meat into a bowl while saving the pits in another container. Squeeze lemon or lime juice on top of avocado. The lime/lemon juice looks down the oxidation which causes the avocado to become brown. Using a fork, smash the avocado. The juice will help with the mashing.

Dice the red onion and tomato. Remove the seeds and liquid jelly of the tomatoes. Add as much as you like into the avocado. I don't like to overwhelm my avocado so I don't add as much as other people. Add salt to taste.

I don't like using cilantro because you are forced to buy a bundle and my dad doesn't like cilantro. I do use them when I am making the guacamole for a party. Wash the cilantro and save the leaves, tossing the stem. Chop finely and mix into the guacamole.

Adding the pits helps prevent browning too.

My boyfriend's sister got him a molcajete. Here is a picture of it. This is what happens if you let guacamole let out for a couple hours.

1 comment: