Home           About           Tips           Links

Monday, May 4, 2020

St. Louis Style Gooey Butter Cake



Can't believe its been an entire year since I have posted. A lot has happened in a year. The most memorable is the coronavirus pandemic. Surprisingly, this is the first thing I baked since the shelter in place. 

Back in medical school, I discovered the Gooey Butter Cookies and have been baking them since. My really good friend Jennifer sent me a box of the famous St. Louis Gooey Butter Cake mix. My husband and I made it for a party and it was a hit. It was freaking delicious. Recently, during my staycation I bought everything to bake the Gooey Butter Cookies but decided to try something new. This is quite good but a close second to the famous St. Louis Cake. 



Serves: 10-12 

Prep time: 10 minutes 

Bake time: 45 minutes

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter (melted) 
15-18 oz cake mix of your choice 
3 eggs
8 oz cream cheese (cut into quarters) 
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract 
4 cups confectioners sugar  

Directions: 
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Lightly grease an approx 9x 13 baking pan 
- Mix 1 egg and melted butter into cake mix 
- Press mixture into pan. Mixture as consistency of sticky dough. Can use spatula to press
- In large bowl, mix confectioners sugar, extract, and the two eggs 
- Pour over cake mixture 
- Bake for 30-45 minutes 
- Allow to cool completely 
- Sprinkle confectioners' sugar on top 

Tips: 
- Can use less confectioners sugar - we used 3.5 cups but plan on using 3 cups next time 
- Can refrigerate if you plan to save some 
- Good even at room temperature 

Recipe Source  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment