Home           About           Tips           Links

Sunday, May 17, 2020

Spam Musubi



I can't believe I don't have spam musubi in here. I made them quite often before medical school. I even made a spam musubi kit for my bestie for her birthday one year. Due to the pandemic, we have lots of can food - one being SPAM!



Serves: ~5-10

Prep time: 30 minutes 

Cook time:  15 minutes

Ingredients:
2 cups of uncooked short grain rice 
2 cups of water
4 tablespoon of vinegar 
1/4 soy sauce (I used dark) 
1/4 cup oyster sauce 
1/4 cup of sugar
1 (12 oz) container of spam 
5 sheets of nori
2 tablespoon of vegetable oil 

Directions: 
- Cook the rice (we used a rice cooker) 
- Let sit for 10 minutes 
- Stir in vinegar with a wooden spatula and set aside
- In a small bowl, mix together soy sauce, oyster and sugar
- Slice spam lengthwise into 10 slices or desired thickness
- Marinate spam in a shallow dish with the sauce for 5 minutes
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet on medium high heat
- Cook slices 2 minutes per side or until lightly brown 
- Cut nori into 3rds or desired width 
- Lay nori down, then place spam in the center. 
- Place rice on top the spam and wrap nori around (seal with a small amount of water)

Tips: 
- The spam is very salty so you can use less of soy sauce, oyster sauce, or sugar
- You can use a mold for the rice - I just shaped the rice with my hands 
- You can cut the spam container in half and use as mold (cautious of getting cut) 

Recipe Source

No comments:

Post a Comment