Home           About           Tips           Links

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Keys to Good Cooking: A Guide to Making the Best of Foods and Recipes

I am officially done with my first year of medical school! This has been an interesting year. As much as I miss my parents and having to adjust to the workload I love having my own kitchen. I hope you guys enjoy all my cooking adventures as much I did this school year. I am home and don't have my cooking stuff so for the next month I will be posting some tips from this book my friend Connie gave me. It is called Keys to Good Cooking: A Guide to Making the Best of Foods and Recipes

Storing Foods in the Refrigerator

 - Cooked dishes usually freeze better than their raw ingredients. Ice crystals cause tissue damage and juice loss in raw meats and fish, vegetables and fruits, but have less noticeable effects on cooked tissues

 - Enclose foods in solid plastic or glass containers to minimize odor transfer among foods and the appliance air and walls. Use glass containers to store strongly flavored or colored foods, which leave persistent residues in the plastic. If you use flexible plastic bags, choose standard thick-walled bags for freezer storage, or special bags for vacuum packing.

 - Minimize exposure to air within storage containers. Use the smallest possible container, or a flexible bag that you squeeze to the food's contours by hand or with a vacuum-packing machine. Press flexible plastic wrap or waxed paper onto the food surface, or coat with a thin layer of oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment