Home           About           Tips           Links

Saturday, August 16, 2014

Scallion Pancake with Fried Egg

This is not a recipe for making scallion pancakes from scratch but more of how to get the fried egg on top of the scallion pancake. One day, I will have an entry on how to make scallion pancakes. 
I recently discovered scallion pancakes, from my Taiwanese boyfriend. It is pretty tasty. Anyway, I was on facebook and saw a picture of my friend's dinner with his parents. There were scallion pancakes with fried eggs on top. I asked my boyfriend, "Is this a thing?" He replied that it is a popular Taiwanese dish. I attempted to look online for recipes on how to make it but to no avail.  

Serves: 1

Prep Time: 0

Cook Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:
- 1 raw scallion pancake (can be frozen or home made)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of veggie oil

Directions:

The trick is to fry the egg first. In an oiled pan on medium heat, crack egg. Let cook for about a minute. Place scallion pancake over the egg. Wait an additional 2 minutes while the egg is cooking. Now this is the tricky part. Using a flat spatula, flip the scallion pancake over with the fried egg attached. Unfortunately, it may get messy. Its okay! Cook that side of the scallion pancake for 2-3 minutes. Depending on how crispy you like your scallion pancake. Then flip it back onto the egg side to cook for about 1-2 minutes depending how cooked the egg is.

People assume you cook the fried egg on top of the scallion pancake. Nope. Tried that and got a burnt scallion pancake. The scallion pancake is way too thick to transmit enough heat to fry the egg.

If anyone has a better way to make this please let me know. =]

2 comments:

  1. oooo I just tried scallion pancakes for the first time a couple weeks ago! I was scared to try it, but I ended up really liking it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay for trying new food. where did you try it?

      Delete