Home           About           Tips           Links

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Corn Potato Chowder


Now that it is my fourth year in medical school, I have a bit more free time. Like I mentioned in my previous post, I usually look for recipes online. This is one I have bookmarked from a while ago. I love creamy white soups!
Serves: 4- 6

Prep Time: 10 minutes


Cook Time: 25 minutes


Ingredients:

  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 onion, minced
  • 1 stalk celery, minced
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
  • 4 cups water
  • 3 small red potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch dice
  • 3 cups frozen sweet corn kernels
  • 1/2 cup whole milk
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • chopped chives

Directions
- Melt butter in a pot on medium heat. Toss in onion, celery, garlic, and cayenne pepper (if using) 
- Cook and stirring for about 5 minutes or until onion or celery are soften. 
- Add potatoes and then water to the pot. Reduce heat to low. 
- Partially cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes has soften.
- Add in the corn and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the whole milk and heavy cream. 
- Add in the black pepper, ladle into bowels, sprinkle with chives, and enjoy!

Tips
- Being health conscious, I used half and half instead of the heavy cream. I thought it was still tasty but it was a bit thin. To thicken it up you can use a flour or cornstarch with water mixture. 
- Fresh chives can be expensive and who uses chives that often. I used shakers chives. Worked great!

No comments:

Post a Comment